Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Teen tanning ban goes to Gov. Quinn

  • 0

SPRINGFIELD — A proposed ban on teen tanning is on its way to Gov. Pat Quinn’s desk.

In action Monday, the Illinois Senate voted 34-12 to prohibit minors under age 18 from using commercial tanning beds, even if their parents give them permission.

The proposal, which earlier won approval in the House on a 67-49 vote, would not ban spray-on tanning or private residence tanning.

Efforts to get a ban on the books were bolstered earlier this year after some Illinois cities adopted ordinances ending teen tanning because it can contribute to skin cancer.

The American Cancer Society praised the passage of the legislation, saying skin cancer is the most common cancer in the U.S.

“Exposure to ultraviolet radiation, either from sunlight or indoor tanning devices, is the most important, avoidable, known risk factor for skin cancer,” the organization noted in a statement.

Among those voting “yes” were state Sens. Bill Brady, R-Bloomington, and Dale Righter, R-Mattoon.

Among those voting “no” were state Sens. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet, and Jason Barickman, R-Bloomington.

The legislation is House Bill 188.

0 Comments
0
0
0
0
0

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Chicago police say two men have been arrested and charged with murder in the fatal March shooting of a girl who was struck in the head by a stray bullet after celebrating her 12th birthday. Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said Tuesday that 22-year-old Malik Parish and 20-year-old Abdul Ali were arrested Sunday. Nyzireya Moore died March 4, three days after she was shot. Police say she was in the passenger seat of a family member’s car when three men fired on another vehicle and a stray bullet struck her in the back of the head. Brown says a third suspect remains at large.

A soldier who suffered catastrophic injuries while serving in Iraq in 2004 has died and been laid to rest in northern Illinois with full military honors. Former U.S. Army Sgt. Joel Gomez died Nov. 22 after developing pneumonia and kidney problems. The 42-year-old Wheaton man, who had been living with quadriplegia since his wartime injury, was buried Tuesday at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood. The Chicago Tribune reports Gomez has become one of more than 4,400 U.S. military members who have died from injuries suffered during the Iraq war. His spine was broken in two places in 2004 during a combat mission.

A judge has sentenced a northwestern Indiana man to 70 years in prison for the torture death of his 4-year-old son he was seen on video punching at least 28 times over two days over potty training. A LaPorte County investigator described video footage from inside the family’s home that showed 29-year-old Alan Morgan of Hamlet repeatedly abusing Judah Morgan in the days leading up the discovery of the boy's dead body on Oct. 11, 2021. Forensic pathologist Dr. John Feczko testified Tuesday an autopsy showed the boy weighed just 36 pounds. Morgan pleaded guilty to murder and felony battery.

OpenHighLowSettleChg.LUMBER110,000 bd. ft.; $ per 1,000 bd. ft.Jan422.8431.0418.9420.8—1.5Mar432.5436.1429.0430.0—1.3May446.0446.0446.0446.0—1…

Authorities and relatives say two young brothers died after they fell into an icy pond while visiting their grandmother in a Chicago suburb. Police said that hours after Palatine firefighters pulled the boys from the pond Wednesday afternoon both youths died at local hospitals. The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office identified the boys as 6-year-old Romalice Brooks and 4-year-old Ro’Siah Brooks. Relatives said the boys were brothers. Their mother, Teghan Ivy, tells WLS-TV her sons were visiting their grandmother with her when she was inside and heard her sons screaming her name. She tried to save them but also fell through the ice and was unable to reach them.

Court documents released by an Indiana judge say an unspent bullet found between the bodies of two teenage girls slain in 2017 “had been cycled through” a pistol owned by the suspect in their deaths. Documents related to 50-year-old Richard Matthew Allen's arrest in the 2017 killings of 14-year-old Liberty German and 13-year-old Abigail Williams were sealed last month at the request of the local prosecutor. The redacted probable cause affidavit released Tuesday states that investigators seized Allen’s pistol during an Oct. 13 search of his home in Delphi. Allen is charged with two counts of murder.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News